Interventional pulmonology (IP), a growing area of pulmonary medicine, focuses on using advanced, minimally invasive procedures to diagnose and manage a wide range of thoracic diseases. By using endoscopic techniques instead of surgery, this approach to care offers faster diagnosis, quicker recovery time, and less pain for our patients.
At SSM Health, our interventional pulmonologists use state-of-the-art technology to identify the cause of your respiratory symptoms and then provide the care needed to help you breathe more comfortably. Find a provider near you today to learn how we can help you.
Conditions Interventional Pulmonologists Treat
At SSM Health, our interventional pulmonologists offer diagnosis and treatment for a wide range of conditions, including:
- Airway strictures
- Coughing up blood (hemoptysis)
- Cancer/tumors of the lung
- Complex airway disorders
- Lung nodules
- Pleural diseases (including pleural effusions and pneumothorax)
- Rare diseases of the airway (i.e. pulmonary alveolar proteinosis, recurrent pulmonary papillomatosis)
Our interventional pulmonologists work closely with a multidisciplinary team of specialists, including thoracic surgeons, oncologists, radiologists, critical care physicians, and respiratory therapists to create tailored treatment plans for each of our patients. This team approach to care combined with the advanced skills of our interventional pulmonologists, ensures our patients receive the highest quality of care for these conditions.
Interventional Pulmonology Procedures
Our team offers a variety of interventional pulmonology procedures, including:
- Balloon airway dilation
- Bronchoscopy, flexible and rigid
- Chest tube and tunneled pleural catheter placement
- Electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy
- Endobronchial ultrasound, radial and linear
- Endobronchial valve placement
- Medical thoracoscopy, pleural biopsy and pleurodesis
- Percutaneous dilational tracheostomy
- Photodynamic therapy
- Tracheal and bronchial stent placement
- Tumor debulking using argon plasma coagulation (APC), electrocautery, cryotherapy
- Ultrasound guided thoracentesis and pleural manometry
- Whole lung lavage
We are committed to improving the quality of life of our patients by alleviating symptoms like shortness of breath. After a comprehensive evaluation and consultation with our care team, we will recommend the best option for you. If you’ve been referred to an SSM Health interventional pulmonologist, you be assured that you have a specialized, highly experienced team on your side. Find a pulmonologist near you today to learn more.